Madinah Part 4: Quba, Qiblatain and Kurma


Other than Mount Uhud, the tour included other significant places to be visited. 

Quba: By the Hand of the Prophet

The Prophet SAW said: “He who purifies himself at his home and comes to Masjid Quba and offers two rakaats therein, will be rewarded the reward of an Umrah.”
Sunan ibn Majah



The masjid was white in color. I believe it was not as extensively designed as it is today. The design or composition of Masjid Quba today did not matter at all. What matters to me is that this masjid was built by the Prophet, by his own bare two hands.

Prophet Muhammad SAW had personally carry stones, rocks and sand for the construction work. Covered in dust and earth, Prophet Muhammad SAW constructed the masjid with the help from his faithful companions.

This was the first place Prophet Muhammad SAW went to after migration from Makkah. And this is the first and the oldest masjid in Islam history.



I performed two rakaat of prayer here, as recommended by the hadith. It was explained by Ustaz Zul that the front carpeted part of the masjid was the original portion. While the remaining were added during the renovation.

As I touched the wall of the masjid, I knew for a fact that the stones inside were carried by the Prophet with his own bare two hands, in hope that in future, his ummah would gather here and pray. I was one of them.

Qiblatain: The New Direction

The foolish among the people will say, "What has turned them away from their qiblah, which they used to face?" Say, "To Allah belongs the east and the west. He guides whom He wills to a straight path."
Al-Baqarah: 124


Judging purely based on interior or exterior design of its construction, it would occurred to me that Masjid Qiblatain is of no difference from any other masjid I have ever been before.

But the secret lies within the stories behind the significant event that took place in this masjid. This masjid witnessed the changing of qibla direction from Baitul Maqdis in Jerusalem to Makkah.

When Prophet Muhammad SAW was leading the congregational prayer, he received a revelation from Allah SWT to change qibla direction towards Makkah. Upon receiving the revelation, so the Prophet changed the qibla direction. However, it was not clear as to whether the Prophet turned his body while praying to face Makkah by himself or it was by assistance from the angel.

20 minutes were given to us. I prayed two raka`at of prayers. Recite a page from the Quran and left the masjid.

The Prophet was here. I was here too.

Kurma Market: Variety of Arabian Fruits
It was like a warehouse, where counters were filled with variaties of kurma and other Arabian fruits. To me, the attraction would be the fact that you can go around and taste the fruits for free! We were informed that there were about 200 species of kurma sold here. But honestly, the tastes are more or less the same, perhaps one type is better than the other. It's not like you are comparing between apple and banana. It's like comparing one type of banana to another type of banana. Ok. Am I making any sense here?



The happiest person here would be my dear mother and my dear aunties. Knowing my dear mother would purchase bags of kurmas, I decided to take a trolley and followed her all the way. As expected, I am not surprised with the amount of packets and bags of Arabian fruits she bought on that day. She said, they are for relatives, for her sisters and brothers. And for my sisters and brothers. And I took a large packet for my officemates too. I could not recall how much did she spend for the fruits. But I do remember the tour guide stopped by at our trolley and said and admire the impressive volume of kurma bought by us. 

Of all the dates, the most expensive would be kurma ajwa. I would have to admit, kurma ajwa has the best taste. But other than that, what is so special about it?

"Prophet said: If somebody take seven Ajwa dates in the morning, neither magic nor poison will hurt him that day."
Sahih Bukhari

We were told that kurma sold here are cheaper than the one in Makkah. That was why majority of us bought them in large volumes. But upon discovery in Makkah, not everything is cheaper here. I could not recall which fruit, but to be safe, shop reasonably. 


Yeah, I have been to these places. 

Till then, 

Hairi Tahir

Comments

Popular Posts